Thursday, August 09, 2007

People who ride bikes to work

I have no problem with people who want to ride their bike to work to get exercise or save money on gas or reduce pollution. In fact, my boss rides his bike to work every day. My pet peeve with this brave souls who brave the heat in the summer, cold in the winter and Austin traffic is the fact that many of these cyclist do not realize that if they ride on the streets, they are subjected to the same traffic laws as cars.

I was headed to the post office today to mail some bills before I started to head home. There is a 4 way intersection where I needed to make a left turn on. I get the this intersection. I let the car in front of me go because he had the right of way and I started to pull out. There was a cyclist who blew threw the 4 way stop without stopping, only to wave at me for not hitting him. Did he stop? No. Did he slow down before he got to the intersection? No. I waved at him back by giving him the "You're number one" sign. I can not believe how some of these clueless people have not been run over by totall not paying attention.

Please people who ride bikes, I admire what you are doing but do not do stupid things like disobey traffic laws.

No comments: