Thursday, March 26, 2009

Shopping a Big Lots the other day

I am at Big Lots with my boys and I over hear this guy on a cell phone. This guy was dressed like he worked construction. He was on a cell phone and I over heard him telling the person he was talking to that he was "Panhandling" at night and working during the day. I am all for people trying to get ahead in life working a second or third job to make ends meet. I was totally amazed that this guy bragged that he was doing this to make extra money.

I am always willing to go out of my way to help someone out. I am just amazed this guy was bragging that he was sitting on a street corner with a sign trying to get people to feel sorry for him so he can make an extra buck. I guess those stories you hear about these folks who put on dirty clothes, get out of their Mercedes-Benz to go beg for some money because its tax free are pretty much true.

On weekend, I saw one homeless person go eat and another took his street corner. There were 4 of them on each corner. It was like a job to them. It much have been shift change. One of the homeless guys was directing the other homeless people to their corner and one went on break.

On the Dudley and Bob show (KLBJ FM 93.7), a homeless man called it and admitted to Dale Dudley that "panhandling" was a pretty good job for him. He was making all of his money tax free, he had a place to stay with a little place to make food and made about $1600 a month doing that. He also was very proud that he had beat the system and making it on his own.

I guess I will have to start looking at homeless standing on street corner's in a different light now. I am still going to do what I can to help the less fortunate; but, in my mind, I will always wonder if I am getting duped or not by someone who is trying to make an extra buck by "appearing" like they are homeless.

No comments: