Thursday, November 22, 2007

HEB Thanksgiving Day

I realized that I had forgotten french fried onions for the green bean casserole. I also needed some saline solution for my contacts. I knew the HEB Plus in my neighborhood was open till 2pm, so I hurriedly went over. The HEB Plus was not as busy as I have normally seen it. I was amazed that this store looked like folks were gearing up for bad weather. There was hardly any eggs, milk, the bread isle was barren. They had tea in a 1 gallon container which was no where to be found. I did manage to see some folks getting a jump on their Christmas Shopping buying Nintendo Wii's and a portable DVD player with 8 inch screen. As I made my way around the store, I realized why I enjoy going shopping late at night. I was amazed at people who were not paying attention and rudely cutting people off. You would also find some people blocking lanes and would glare at you when you would try to get by them by saying, "Excuse me." My big question is, have we really gone so far to forget why we are celebrating Christmas and Thanksgiving? I understand as people we lead busy lives. I decided to have Thanksgiving at my house. It was nice but even after buying a ham and making green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and rolls, I was dead tired after all that. My parents came as well as my great aunt who is living with them. After we ate lunch, we all lounged on the sofa watching some show about castles and fancy lake homes.

I have learned that it is better to be prepared and ready to go before Thanksgiving. If I had forgotten anything, I should have went to Walmart last night late, instead of waiting till today thinking I could just run in, get what I needed to and get out. I keep seeing the commercials for Black Friday sales and I do not plan to go anywhere near those sales, especially seeing how impatient and inconsiderate shoppers can be at the grocery store the day of Thanksgiving.

No comments: