Monday, April 07, 2008

Trying to join the gym here at work.

I decided since I do not have time to go hit my local Gold's Gym during lunch, I would join the gym at work so I can at least start doing more cardio. We had a Healthy Heart screening and everything was fine other than my Cholesterol level. I fill out the papers and roll into our Fitness center office which is run by this bubbly trainer who looks like she lives in the gym. She checks my blood pressure and everything is fine there. She asks about my Cholesterol and I tell her thats they reason why I want to start working out at work since I need to work out more as well as change up my diet more. I am already scheduled for a onsite physical with a doctor who is coming to my work 2 weeks later. She then proceeds to tell me that she wants me to get the doctor first before they allow me to work out at their facility.

First of all, we have a gym at work and they push the whole, "Let's be healthy" here at work. It is part of the work/life balance. If you have healthy employees, they are sick less and are more productive. She basically wanted me to jump through hoops so I can torture myself by going to the gym. I find it ironic that it is easiest not to bother with the doctor's approval and no goto the gym. I already have a gym membership. I do not need to pay for a 2nd gym membership. Secondly, we have major health problems with people being overweight in this world, as well as heart disease. There is a huge increase in the costs of health care. I know that if I do not do something about my Cholesterol levels, I am headed for the same health problems my father has. The good thing is that I do have health insurance and can afford to go see a doctor about my health. What about the folks who can not afford it? I understand that my work gym is only trying cover themselves from liabilities if something happens if I have a heart attack in the gym. My Glucose is good, my Blood Pressure is good. If the only thing that is causing me grief is my Cholesterol, why not give me the green light to work out? I am headed to a physical next week anyway. It is kinda a Catch 22. I am damned if I try to work out because I need a doctor to give me doctor's approval to work out at the work gym. I am also damned if I not do anything and then eventually start having health problems because I did not do anything.

I ended up trashing the paperwork the lady at the work gym gave me. I have a gym. I just need to make time to go, even if it cuts into my schedule. My small group at church did the Biggest Loser and I lost like 35 pounds just watching my diet and running 3 times a week. I will start running again and pull out my mountain bike. The pool in my neighborhood just opened too. I will start bringing my boys to the pool to get in a pool workout. I am just totally amazed that with all the medical problems in the world and you get a chance to do something better in your life, you basically have to go above and beyond to prove you have the ability to make those better changes.

No comments: