Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More rants fror the life of a DSL tech support rep.

I just signed in the other day to my part time tech job and looked at the recent observations. The main company where we work tend to monitor our calls quite often, which is a tad bit overkill. I have gotten anywhere from perfect calls at 100% to "Needs Improvement". There is one woman who I swear is on the war path with me. On one of her comments she says, "Borderline sarcastic with customer". I was "borderline sarcastic with the customer because the clueless guy was like, "Oh? You want me to look for my start button?" He apparently thought I could magically get into his computer, fix his problem and get off. We do use a tool called Log Me In Rescue that allows us to sign in people's computers and fix things. I have used this tool a few times. The last time I tried to use it, the user was not smart enough to run the little applet that allows me access and it was taking over 10 minutes just to get to that point. I admit was borderline sarcastic with the customer, telling the guy, "Sir, you have to look for the start button on your screen."

I also get points counted off for not using the customer's name and not validating the customer's information. How ironic is that? I normally get that right when the customer gives me their billing telephone number. I am not sure if these folks who are monitoring our calls actually listen to the whole call or do they just deduct the points they think they need to and call it a day? I have told my Team Lead and I ready to come up during the day to have a little meeting with these monitoring folks to find out what their problem is. Of course, I am liable to tell them off and end up getting fired from the part time job. My Team Lead has re-monitored a few of the reps calls and they have been way off in terms of counting points off. When he finds things like this, he sends them over to the Admins so they can have the Admins contact the company who we are taking calls from. I am also amazed that I get counted off for my "tone". Excuse me, I put on the fake "Radio DJ" voice when I take calls. My father who used to work as a Journalist in the Army for over 20 years calls it the "Peter Puker" voice. I am not sure how an upbeat voice would get points off for "tone"? Maybe I should answer my calls in an Indian accent, "Thank you for calling...this is Sandeep, How can I help you with phenomenal service?"

This company sends out surveys in which customers can send those back into the company to show how good or bad a rep does. Usually, these are sent to the main account and users never check them. Every once in awhile, I will go into one of those surveys for the customer and give myself all high scores and in the comment section, fill in how polite and courteous I was. I try not to do too many of these for fear they might catch on. Besides, a little pat on the back never hurt dealing with clueless people.

No comments: