Saturday, May 24, 2008

More confessions of a Tech Support rep

It has been 5 months since I have started this silly part time job. I have seen this place fire probably most of the people their hire. It makes me wonder how they keep anyone employed here. You would be better of getting a part time job at HEB where you could make $10 an hour, than the $8 an hour that they start you off here. The only reason why I took this part time gig was because they were flexible with my hours and the fact that I was going to be working from home. I was told my boss that we were 30 days out from them getting the new phone systems and the whole nightshift would be working from home. That will not be bad because I will not have to worry about commuting in to this place. Since being here, my stats are great, I am a profitable employee and my fix ratio is over 90%. You still get some customer who will call in because something does not go right because they screwed around with something. They need to give these people 3 times they can call for technical support. If they go outside of that 3 calls, they need to play for tech support. Keep in mind, this DSL company gives routers/modems to complete and total idiots who can not even turn a computer on. What is interesting about working nights here is that there is a night shift glitch where the system is supposed to count you tardy if you are late. Since my shift starts at 11 p.m., I have rolled in 30 minutes late. The system said I was tardy but points were never given to me for being tardy. Secondly, the main client we have here monitors probably 40% of our calls for them. I am amazed that I will get straight 100% on quality and then might get an 85% because I "did not update the master record" when that issue is a known issue with this tool that some guy threw together and is buggy as hell. This company is too cheap to go out and buy a new tool that might work much better for all of us. I have also been dinged for being "sarcastic" to customers. These folks are not very computer literate. When I have to listen to them tell me they are not very computer savvy every 3rd sentence and then put up with them not being able to follow simple instructions, of course I am going to sound a little sarcastic. I love it when a customer will ask, "It says next, should I click next?", or "Should I click Enter?" I usually answer the question with a question because they know the answer. "What do you think?", I will reply. To be honest, I could care less about my tone with customers. This is a disposable job for me. I am thankful for the opportunity to make some extra money to pay off debt; but, they need to pay me a few more dollars an hour before it might be worth sitting here putting up with customer's whining and crying that their internet is down.

No comments: