Thursday, July 13, 2006

Gee, my brother is SUCH a cheapo

I get a call from my middle brother John that my nephew Travis' birthday is going to be celebrated this weekend at Mr. Gattis. No problem. We have done these kinda of family party/get togethers before. In fact, my son had his party there. My brother tells me that we are all going to go "Dutch" and he is just going to get tokens for the kids. Geesh, talk about pinching pennies.

I understand my brother does not have alot of money and he and his wife do not make much money. What drives me insane is that he expects everything to be handed to him. He decided he wanted to move to La Vernia because they liked it in the country. Instead of saving money up to put down on the land, my mother let him "borrow" $25K for his land which he was supposed to pay back and never did. He tells my mom, "Mom, I will start paying you back when I get a better job." My mom has maybe seen $100 of this money. She tried to keep it secret from me because she thought I would blow my top. I am not angry. It just pisses me off that she would let my brother borrow money like that, only never to see it again. One time I asked my mom, "Mom, can I borrow $25K to start my own Blimpee franchise?" My mom replied with, "I dont have $25K." I responded, "Sure you do. John's trailer is sitting on top of it."

On the other hand, I have worked for everything I have owned. My grandmother died years ago and my parents gave all of us $6000. My two brothers both bought cars. I slapped that money in a Money Market account and let it grow. To this day, I still have part of that money left. Dont get me wrong, I am not mad because my mom helped my brother out. I just think my mom should cut the purse strings and let me brother fend for himself.

No comments: