Saturday, July 01, 2006

Scammers of the world!!!!

I get at least one of these emails every day where someone overseas is looking for people in the US to accept payments for them. All you have to do is take the check they send you and deposit it in your account and then mail the customer a check for the amount minus your 10% commission. Sounds easy enough right?

What these morons do not realize is that I work in Data fraud. I see scams like this on a daily basis. I signed up for one of thse deals and got an email from some guy in the UK using a @myway.com email domain. First of all, if you have a legit business, why not use a your own company name? This guy wanted to make sure I responded to his emails in a timely manner, which I did. This guy sends me a check in the amount of $79K and wants me to deposit this check. I have way ahead of this scam. These guys take a person who thinks, "Gee, easy money just making a deposit." Once the person makes the deposit in their bank and the bank realizes the check is fake, the check bounces and then the person is out the money they sent the customer as well as any bank fees and other monies owed to the bank since the check was fake. So I have the check sitting on my coffee table and I am not stupid enough to deposit it. The guy who send me the check emails me and asks to update him. I told him I had deposited the check but the bank was holding the check because it was a foreign check and they would not tell me when they would release the funds. (Of course, the check is still sitting on my coffee table.) A few days later he asks again about what is going on. I tell him the bank is investigating his customer because of fraud and they will not give me any more information. Ironically enough after I tell him this, I never heard from him again.

First of all, the company this check was supposed to come from does not exist. There is no contact information on the check so if anything goes wrong, you are screwed. Secondly, the guy who is is trying to get me to cash the check emails me from a "Public" email account ("@myway.com"). This is a BIG sign this is big time fraud. Thirdly, any talk of making easy money by accepting packages and resending them to someone else is big time fraud. (Its what I deal with on a daily basis at my work.) The talk of easy money should be a sign that you should run for cover. What is even more ironic is the guy's name, and phone number he wanted me to call him on as well as his email info was all updated in my database to block any order that tries to come through my company. Thank you Mr. Fraudster for trying to be slick, you just allowed me to protect my company against fraud from your moronic self.

I think I will definately have to post a copy of the check just so people can see how crazy some of these morons are.

No comments: